Monday 7 October 2013

A quick recap of the past while

This is the first post for a while due to several reasons.The main one being I have been oversea's to attend my cousin Joels funeral. It was Joels father, John, who inspired me to start metal detecting after introducing me to treasure hunting when I was very young. Joel on the few times I met him was a kindred spirit we had a lot in common even though 12000 miles apart. Joel was a tremendous guy full of life and laughter. Sadly no more.

 RIP Cuz and Uncle John.

On return to New Zealand shores my long running back injury then became a hindrance in my treasure searches. I found myself only able to do short hunts up to a 30 minutes. On top of this my PC had decided to die. It has still yet to be resurrected and is in surgery at this very moment. I am typing this up on a very slow lap top which will not allow me to upload pictures. Hopefully I will have it up and running shortly.
I did keep a brief record of my hunts but nothing too startling was found to really justify writing a pictureless narration. All I found was just mainly spending :

Sept 3rd Waima Park Woodlands $6.00
Sept 6th Moire Park, Massey  $6.40
Sept 8th Triangle Road $1.70
Sept 15th Zita Maria & Sarajavo Reserves 0.90c
Sept 17th Ranui Domain $3.90 and an old key

I then went up to my favourite haunt Beachlands to house sit for my brother for a few days. The weather was brutal and having a dog, Nellie (not allowed on beaches much but never more than two feet away from me) in my care I only got out twice on the last two days of my stay the 2nd & 3rd of October. The stormthat week had been huge and I covered the same part of Maraetai Beach as I normally do. The first day during a 90 minute hunt I found $3.90 spending as well as 7 old decimals, 2 x 1 cent, 1 x 2 c,  2 x  5 c, 1 each of 10 & 20 cents. I also found another alum key to add to my growing set of alum keys. Tent pegs were quite common too!
The next day was just a 30 min stroll as my back was giving me some proper gyp. I found another $2.10 spending, also another old 20 cent. Amid all this were two targets that were my finds of the week. They were a 1916 silver 6d and the very last find a 1922 English penny, totally battered, but a nice find and a cool way to end the day.

I also found a dog tag bearing the name 'Marley' with a mobile number inscribed as well as the mutts name. I rung the number and agreed to drop the tag off at the Maraetai coffee shop by the wharf where the owner went every Sunday. The cafe owner knew the dog and the owner concerned and gave me a free coffee. Much appreciated.

I'll post pictures when I am able.

It seems the storm had helped uncover some coins that have been hard to detect until now. This whole beach definitely needs more time on it than I spent. I will return
  .

No comments:

Post a Comment