Friday 3 May 2013

Orewa's Beautiful Parks

An Overcast Orewa Beach Almost at High Tide

I spent the afternoon in Orewa, 25 kms north of Auckland, a popular beach resort for both locals and visitors. I took both my Cobra Beach Magnet and I also had a friends Garrett ACE 150 on hand.
It was overcast and almost full tide (bad planning) when I arrived at the beach just after noon. I spent a while wandering up and down the fast incoming waterline with no success just a modicum of trash.


As the beach had all but disappeared I moved on to the two parks that are on the grass promenade. Pickings were much better there. I pulled $3.90 spending out of one and $1.90 out of the smaller park. Nothing much else to report, just spending. I then moved on to a sand based volley ball court but it was as barren as the beach. Not even a rusty nail.
The Orewa Beach Park No.1 

After a break for sustenance and a quiet time to enjoy the surroundings I drove into inner Orewa and found three parks. I already knew that Orewa was home to some very beautiful things and I can now number the Orewa parks among those. All three very spacious with the surrounding grass a wonderful shade of green and a lovely mixture of exotic and native trees complementing the serene atmosphere that the parks emanated.

Park whose name will be updated Soon

Murrays Eaves Park  
The parks as usual enabled me to uncover a few interesting items. A miniature pen knife surfaced which I think belonged to the owner of the small harmonica I found a few days ago. American one cents coins were in abundance,  two examples turned up in different parks. One is 1987 the other 1982 but they are not the same size.
My own two cents worth.

One being a little smaller than the other. A 5/16th's alum key was unearthed, as was an old currency one cent piece and a very cheap ring engraved with O's and X's. An oblong setting for a stone, probably an old part of a brooch, also emerged. It is very heavy for it's size and Richie reflex reckons it could be gold. I'm not to sure of that but I'll hang with that idea it till it's proved other wise.  Another $1.60 spending was also added to the haul. Two other initially bland items had cause for a second look. First was a piece of flattened metal that was once spherical, imprinted with a design that looks like Asian symbols, I seem to remember I had a toy cowboy pistol in my youth with similar designs running up the length of the barrel. So part of a toy gun?

The Triadic Symbol As Yet Undeciphered.

Another, as yet unrecognised, item is some sort of nozzle. It is hard rubber with a metal spout. When cleaning it a small round gauze fell out of it which makes me think it is part of a filter for a boat engine or such like.
A complete chain link and a couple of tent pegs made up the day's take.
I used a Garrett ACE 150 at a couple of the parks without head phones and the bleeping attracted a following of children. I tend not to dig to far down into the bark but the kids were keen and at one stage I had three excavations going on as the young ones enthusiastically carried on digging after I had moved on. Ten year old Chloe uncovered a ten cent and the whole day was worth the look on her face as she proudly displayed her treasure to her Mum and older brothers.
All the finds have been professionally photographed with my new camera but typically I have mislaid the download USB cable so cannot throw the pictures up yet but will do ASAP.
The days all sorts

So at 5.30pm as the sun rapidly disappeared I meandered home, another enjoyable hunt under my belt. A range of interesting finds and $7.40 spending.

See you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment