Friday 26 April 2013

ANZAC Day & Back to Beachlands.


It is ANZAC day in New Zealand time to remember those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in the wars in far off lands. Lest we forget. A time to appreciate how lucky we all are to live in peaceful times. Well, peaceful on this side of the world at least.

Being a public holiday my Brother and his family have taken off on another camping sojourn and I have arrived in Beachlands to once again look after Nellie the dog and their considerable estate for the long weekend.

I headed off from home after lunch with a breezy but reasonably fine day presented to me. First stop was not a hunt. I sought permission to detect a piece of land that was once a race track now a paddock for cows. The finish line judges boxes and some other small buildings are still standing though, sadly, in disrepair. As luck would have it the owner was digging a hole and we had a long chat. The upshot was that I got a verbal okay for a few of us to check it out but will email him for official conformation.  It has not been used since 1976 but was in commission for twenty years before that. I have been trying to find a layout of the track, where spectators stood, parking, equalizator booths etc but so far with little luck. I will have to do more research. Maybe track down a few locals.
Chuffed with the permission I had achieved I carried on.

Te Pai a Very Small Park. 
The first detecting stop was a small park at the side of Ti Pai netball courts. It was only a 15 minute search and three bent nails and a screw driver shank were the only targets found. I think this park is fairly new so I didn't expect too much. So extremely happy with my rusty screwdriver shank. Fits a drill I think. Over the moon. Celebrated with a McDonalds breakfast. Nice at the time. Onward....



Entrance to the Bowl
Park With the Mostest.
Then it was all motorway till the next stop in Manukau 30 km's away. I chanced my arm by entering the Manukau Sports Bowl home of several sports. I was rewarded with a nice bark park which held a few finds and a lot of paper and plastic rubbish. My first target within a couple of steps was a $2 coin an inch down which was very promising. Then a few twenty's, a couple of washers, a ball bearing, a end of a blind rack, a very strange shaped piece that might have been part of some scales, a jean button and two sparkly eye finds. As well as a brooch centre or maybe an earring with the stud missing. I scored a total $4.20 in spending, thanks to all concerned.
Manukau Nick Nack's
Manukau finds & Trash
Silver? Tin! Diamond? Glass!



Next up I saw the Rongomai Sports Club and ventured into the grounds. Alas no park but a very white sandy softball diamond.
Home of the Manukau Nailer's


I had a quick scout and the ground was teeming with targets. The ground, even after a lot of rain, is still very hard a few inches down. After six nails in a row I whimped out and moved on.

Driving towards Whitford, I saw a playground that looked huge across a valley of very elite housing, it was eventually located behind the Mission Heights Junior College. I took a while longer to find the entrance and then after setting up the gear wandered into the park and was floored by a rubber floored playground. That was that.



Whitford, I Ain't Going Back
Whitford playground was the next and another dry area. Three bent nails. The weed mat was a huge problem with the staples applied far too liberally for my liking. After fifteen minutes I was out of there. 



I was thinking to give my favourite beach a quick swing but the clement weather had enticed quite a few to the beach and it was too packed for my liking. I did though have a quick look at the small park there and came up with 5 bottle tops and thirty cents.

That was enough and I finally arrived at my destination where Nellie was surprised and happy to see me. I was glad to be there.
It's been a long day but one other thing I did detect was a box of beers on special from the Mill.
Boy does that taste nice.
Give us a hand?

Still wondering what function this piece on the right 
served. Some sort of indicator?

The total spending reclaimed was $4.50 and combined with a mixture of simple but pleasing finds.
As you might have noticed I got a new camera too. 


See you out there.







No comments:

Post a Comment