Wednesday 8 May 2013

Wet, weird and nuts.

The rain was lashing down and there was little sign of it relenting. Time for a detect I thought. It wasn't cold just very wet but the rain is my friend.
So just after lunch I headed back to Western Springs park, next to the zoo, where yesterdays dramatic events took place.
Lakeside Park almost ended up Inlake Park
 I had a good feeling about this place after yesterdays hasty nibble.
One of Auckland's secrets











I started with a few coins around the edges of the playground and then headed to check around a tree. I found a zip puller, then another, another.....a few nuts, screws, coins, a zip puller, then another....It just kept going. About three zip pullers to a nut or screw and in between the odd coin.  Obviously not a park Erica Jong would visit for her entertainment. There were a few outer lying zip pulls but the majority of zips were mainly spread over about three square metres and all spaced apart, not two together and obviously been lying there a while. It was weird. Maybe somebody dropped a zip pull sample bag or is it some poor child's zip pull collection.

Detector Art.

The Zip Pulls posing for group photo.
 There were many nuts bolts and washers spread around left, I assume, by the parks department. A little pink heart shaped pendant, a tent peg, a billabong button and a hair grip were the rest of the non numismatic finds.

Shiny things, a pendant and a button. And appropriately a iron question mark!
The spending I found added up to $6.10 and I also picked up four earlier decimal coins, two 20 cents, a ten and a five cent. Twenty coins in all, a fruitful park indeed.

Coinage from the Lakeside Park
I was soaked through and had been at it for a over couple of hours and the rain never once stopped. I wanted to beat the rush hour traffic home so I decided to call it a day.
Driving home I pondered how all the zip pullers had ended up under the bark and  I'm still pondering. Never had so many nuts and bolts either. So a strange day, a wet day but a very enjoyable day.

See you out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment