Sunday 14 April 2013

Sunday raid on the Peninsular

It's Sunday and this afternoon we decided to go to hunt a few parks on the 
Te Atatu Peninsula. According to my secret park list there were six barked parks that were suitable. I noted the addresses and worked out the route. 

At about 2 pm Gareth and I set off to the first venue, Lone Tree Park. 
It was in the middle of a flash load of houses and it looked promising. We spent about 40 minutes and I came away with $4.30 spending and an old 20 cent piece. Gareth also found old currency, a 5 cent coin, as well as $2.30 cash.

Next up was the main park just off the shopping centre, It was an overcast afternoon but the park was too full for us to venture forth, so we had a quick feed of filled rolls and moved on. 

The attractively named Durham Green is a cool small park on a big lawn like area. There are a few very old large trees that dominate one side of the common and when the ground softens up we will check the ground around them. They look like good shade trees used for many a year. The park though pleasant was not very abundant for me. A solitary 10 cents was my take over the 30 minutes we were there. Gareth did better with 60 cents and a large star pendant. Just a trinket but a nice find for him. 
The next two parks both lacked a bark playground, I think my secret list must have been sabotaged. So we ended up at Taipari Strand Park on the Henderson Creek. A lovely park and very quiet. 

My finds there included a brass button with a star stamped on it, my second American cent in a few days, a old 10 cent and $1.40 in spending. By far the best park of the day as far as varied finds go. We were there for an hour or so. 
Gareth pulled out 60 cents in spending too as well as four hair grips.


We still had another park to visit but decided to save it for another day. Our backs were aching and home we headed.
Produce from the Te Atatu Peninsula Raid.
I ended up with the few old decimals, a US cent, a brass button and $5.80 in spending. 
Sunday afternoon, always a good time for a sly swing.
Sorry about the picture quality, my new camera arrives next week which will improve picture quality. I hope.

See you out there.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day there Glen,We are in Henderson for a few days,having a couple of day dreams while we walk and drive around,as I was born and raised here and still have found memorys of old Henderson,Had trouble finding my way around (so many shops and buildings)Going to Piha for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim, Thanks for your post. Yes, West Auckland is rapidly changing. Enjoy Piha, I wish I could balance my detector out there. If your travelling by camper van or need a place to pitch a tent please stop by. Would love to catch up and have a yarn. I am out Kumeu way on 10 acres and love an excuse for a BBQ, a chat and a quiet beer.
    glenwillo@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete